error message

greg

08 Nov, 2017 05:03 PM

Hello,
We are serving ads on woodenboat.com. We are getting errors related to advertserver.
Any idea what this error message means:

A Parser-blocking, cross site (i.e. different eTLD+1) script, https://woodenboat.advertserve.com/advertpro/servlet/view/banner/ja..., is invoked via document.write. The network request for this script MAY be blocked by the browser in this or a future page load due to poor network connectivity. If blocked in this page load, it will be confirmed in a subsequent console message.See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104 for more details.

ALSO I tried to submit a ticket in the admin panel and I keep getting this message even though I'm logged into the control panel:
Please try submitting your discussion again (you may have been logged out before submitting your comment).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 08 Nov, 2017 05:56 PM

Hello Greg,

These warnings that appear in the Chrome developer console honestly aren't a big concern. They're more annoying than anything. Why it's happening is because the ad tags are loading synchronously and using the JavaScript document.write() function. Chrome will block such requests if the user is on a slow 2G cellular connection. Usage of 2G cellular is almost non-existent in many countries, so for most sites that don't have a lot of international traffic from regions such India or Africa where 2G is still used widely the impact is pretty pretty negligible.

That being said, it is possible to eliminate the warnings by switching to our more modern AJAX zone code. It loads the ads asynchronously so they don't block rendering. There are other benefits as well since the AJAX code allows you page content to render faster and Google also gives a slight SEO boost to sites who load their ads asynchronously. We've also recently come out with an option to lazy-load zones to improve viewability, which only works with our AJAX zone code: http://www.advertserve.com/blog/2017/09/improving-viewability/

For those reasons it's a good idea to switch to our AJAX code and I highly recommend it, but at the same time it's definitely not something that needs to be done urgently.

Also, I'm sorry you had issues with our ticket system. We've been having a lot of trouble with it as of late and are considering a move to a different ticket system platform. In the mean time, I would suggest to just send an e-mail to [email blocked] as it will automatically create a ticket.

-Mike

2. 2 Posted by greg on 08 Nov, 2017 09:07 PM

Thank you very much, good info, I will look into the AJAX zone code.

3. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2017 06:13 PM.

4. greg re-opened this discussion on 08 Feb, 2018 03:22 PM

5. 3 Posted by greg on 08 Feb, 2018 03:22 PM

We have replaced the advert code with the AJAX zone code. All 3 sites that we replaced are responsive. Is there a way to make the AJAX code so the ads are responsive?

Thanks.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 08 Feb, 2018 04:35 PM

Hi Greg,

Yes, it is possible to make zones responsive. You can, for example, have a 728x90 zone that shows on desktop/tablet and switches to a 300x250 zone instead on mobile phones. It's also possible to have zones disable themselves based on device type.

The following article explains how that works:

http://www.advertserve.com/blog/2013/10/responsive-ads/

One thing to be aware of is that our responsive support is implemented with User-Agent detection. The ads will not change if you simply resize your browser window. To test them you need to use an actual device or an emulator, such as the responsive developer tools built into Chrome and Firefox which can emulate the User-Agent of the device type you select.

If you want to make the zones truly responsive so that they change when the browser window is resized it's possible to do that, but it requires a little more effort. The AJAX zone code consists of two basic parts: a div tag that acts as a container for the ad to be inserted into and a script code that schedules the ad to be loaded asynchronously. You can actually separate the two so that you can execute the script code programmatically (i.e. when the browser size crosses a breakpoint) instead of having it execute on page load.

Here's an example with a small responsive framework that demonstrates the technique:

https://services.renegadeinternet.com/temp/responsive_ajax2.html

If you try resizing the browser window you will see the ad on the left changes size and the ad on the right only appears at higher resolutions.

Personally I think the first way is best because it's simpler and the technique works well if you stick to using the IAB standard sizes on mobile phones (300x250, 300x100, 300x50 and 320x50).

-Mike

7. 5 Posted by greg on 08 Feb, 2018 07:16 PM

I would say that the first way is Adaptive not Responsive.

Thanks.

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 08 Feb, 2018 08:16 PM

Yes, that's a fair point. Honestly any way you look at it our adaptive/responsive solutions are kind of a hack because traditionally ads have been built to a fixed-size. The IAB put out a draft specification for using aspect-ratio based sizes in September 2016. It didn't become an official standard until July 2017 (https://www.iab.com/news/new-ad-portfolio-release/) but nobody seems to be adopting it yet. I'm in hopes that will change so we can have truly responsive ads one day and we're going to be supporting it soon too. The real challenge will be getting all advertisers on board with redesigning their ads. I'm envisioning that sites will have to run a mixture of fixed-size and aspect-ratio ads that will adapt to the fixed-sizes for a time and then once all advertisers have supplied aspect-ratio ads the transition to responsive can be made.

9. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 13 Feb, 2018 08:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

26 Aug, 2018 05:35 PM
31 Jul, 2018 03:44 PM
27 Jul, 2018 05:10 PM