Geo-targeting by Zip Code

Jennifer

12 Oct, 2016 04:03 PM

Hello,

I have a question about geographic targeting for campaigns, primarily by zip code. If I understand it correctly, if I wanted to target a specific ad campaign to specific zip codes, I could enter those zip codes directly into the geographic targeting drop-down of the campaign.

If, however, we were targeting the campaign to a large area - is there a way that we could exclude specific zip codes from seeing the ad? So, for example, if I were targeting an ad to potential customers in KY, IN, OH, and ILL, but wanted to exclude people viewing the website in Lexington, Chicago, Indianaoplis, and Nashville - is there a way to do that in AdvertServe? Or what would be the best way to approach that situation.

Any advice and feedback is much appreciated!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 12 Oct, 2016 06:38 PM

Hello Jennifer,

Yes, you have to enter or copy/paste a list of zip codes (one per line) into the "Zip / Postal Codes" box under geographic targeting in the campaign.

Targeting a large area and then trying to exclude parts of it is kind of tricky unfortunately.

You would have to get a list of all of the zip codes in KY, IN, OH and IL and remove the zip codes for Lexington, Chicago, and Indianapolis to exclude those cities.

It might actually be easier to enter the list of states to target in the "States / Provinces" box:

KY
    IN
    OH
    IL

Then click on the "DMA" tab and select the following:

(529) Louisville, KY
    (632) Paducah, KY-Cape Girardeau, MO-Harrisburg-Mount Vernon, IL
    (736) Bowling Green, KY
    (509) Ft. Wayne, IN
    (649) Evansville, IN
    (581) Terre Haute, IN
    (582) Lafayette, IN
    (588) South Bend-Elkhart, IN
    (510) Cleveland-Akron (Canton), OH
    (515) Cincinnati, OH
    (535) Columbus, OH
    (536) Youngstown, OH
    (542) Dayton, OH
    (547) Toledo, OH
    (554) Wheeling, WV-Steubenville, OH
    (558) Lima, OH
    (596) Zanesville, OH
    (610) Rockford, IL
    (632) Paducah, KY-Cape Girardeau, MO-Harrisburg-Mount Vernon, IL
    (648) Champaign & Springfield-Decatur, IL
    (675) Peoria-Bloomington, IL
    (682) Davenport, IA-Rock Island-Moline, IL
    (717) Quincy, IL-Hannibal, MO-Keokuk, IA

This is a list of all of the designated marketing areas in KY, IN, OH and IL with the DMA codes for Lexington, Chicago and Indianapolis excluded. One thing to bear in mind with DMA codes is that some of the areas include parts of MO, IA and WV. That's why it's necessary to enter the list of states as well so that it excludes the border areas of those unwanted states.

I always recommend using DMA codes whenever possible though because it's a lot easier to work with in most cases compared to having a huge list of zip codes.

Google has a tool that you can use to search all of the cities that are contained in each DMA here too that's helpful: http://www.advertserve.com/blog/2013/01/whats-in-a-dma/

-Mike

2. 2 Posted by Jennifer Whittl... on 12 Oct, 2016 07:59 PM

Thanks, Mike! Super helpful as always - I will definitely check into targeting using the DMA codes.

Jennifer

From: Mike Cherichetti <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Reply-To: Renegade Internet <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 12 Oct, 2016 09:05 PM

You're welcome!

4. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 18 Oct, 2016 12:33 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

10 Mar, 2017 02:38 AM
02 Mar, 2017 06:03 PM
23 Feb, 2017 09:32 PM