UUID and proxying

Michael Libby

20 Nov, 2013 03:14 PM

I am server HTML ads from AS via our server (browser calls our URL, the server gets the ad and then returns it). I am including a %%CLICKLINK%% in the media's HTML to enable tracking. This much is working great.

However, we need to set view/click limits for some campaigns. Since the server does not have the advertserve.com cookie to send with the request, is there a workaround that would allow me to link view requests to specific users? At worst I could proxy click events as well... would it work to set a cookie on requests and "clicks" using an arbitrary UID that I control (like the user's UUID in our system)?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 20 Nov, 2013 04:59 PM

Hi Michael,

Yes, it's possible that you can include %%UUID%% in your media's HTML and put that value into your own cookie.

When you make requests to the ad server you can pass the UUID value back along with the client's IP address like this:

http://novu.advertserve.com/servlet/view/banner/url/zone?zid=123&pid=0&uuid=202cb962ac59075b964b07152d234b70&ip=192.168.1.1

That will be enough to make frequency capping by views and clicks work correctly. It will also support geo-targeting since that's based on the client IP address.

It's also possible that you can proxy some additional client information with a few more parameters:

• &language=[language_code]
    • &agent=[http_user_agent]
    • &referrer=[current_page_url]

This would allow you to support language targeting, browser/OS targeting and referrer targeting as well as enable correct reporting of that information.

Note that the value of the agent and referrer parameter should be URL encoded and it's require that the referrer be the last parameter in the URL for it to be read correctly by the ad server.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 2 Posted by Michael Libby on 20 Nov, 2013 07:24 PM

Thank you!

I found that for UUID I can use any md5 hash and it will work as long as those hashes are unique per user (this gets around the problem of many users behind a firewall getting the same default UUID on AdvertServe).

The additional parameters are extremely useful, especially IP address.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 20 Nov, 2013 08:41 PM

You're welcome. It's fine to use any md5 hash as long as it's unique per user.

We generate our UUID by taking and md5 hash of the following:

IP|User-Agent|yyyy-MM-dd

This yields a fairly UUID and solves the problem of multiple users behind a firewall to some extent as they'll get a different UUID unless they have the same browser and get initially cookied on the same day.

4. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 22 Nov, 2013 04:47 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

31 Mar, 2021 03:15 PM
03 Aug, 2020 08:33 PM
22 Jun, 2020 06:51 PM