custom fields and dates

's Avatar

mike.libby

12 Feb, 2014 10:17 PM

Would like to pass a date as a custom field.

Looking at the possible operators there doesn't look like a way to do any sort of date arithmetic based on today's date. Want to be show a campaign for the user's birthday or anniversary without hard-coding that logic into the field value... is that possible?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 13 Feb, 2014 03:55 PM

Hi Mike,

This isn't currently possible, but I really like the idea and would like to add this capability. I'm trying to think of the best way to enter the target values. Perhaps if you could enter phrases such as yesterday, today, tomorrow, last week, this week, next week, etc... that would work pretty well. We could then perform the date matching based on the ranges those phrases define. Does that sound like it would meet your needs?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 2 Posted by mike.libby on 14 Feb, 2014 04:06 PM

Part of our problem is that we really want to do two different things with one date.

Example: birthday.

We show different campaigns for people depending on their age in years. Just need a basic "years since" calculation.

But then if we want to show a campaign for someone the week of their birthday, we don't care about the year at all, just that they have their birthday this week. More of an "anniversary (today|thisWeek|thisMonth)" kind of filter.

If we hadn't used up all ten custom fields, we'd just calculate age and a relative "days until" field and work with each of them separately.

Thanks!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 14 Feb, 2014 05:18 PM

Yeah, so it sounds like it would make the most sense if we added two different date matching operators? One we could call "Age" and it calculates years since the specified date. It could let you do a range match, i.e. 25:40 matches ages 25 through 40 like the between operator currently does. The other we could call "Anniversary" and have values: today, week and month you could enter to match the same month/day, week of the year or month of the year as the specified date.

4. 4 Posted by mike.libby on 14 Feb, 2014 06:01 PM

After talking this over internally it seems like the age operator would work pretty well.

But an anniversary option would be complicated. If we were to want to show a campaign every 3 or 6 months after a person joined our site, for example, an anniversary wouldn't help. Or if we wanted to experiment with showing the campaign the week before the anniversary vs. the week of vs. the week after, then keywords like "week" wouldn't be accurate enough.

I'm thinking we'll just have to rework our custom fields so that we can define these on our server and include them as tags in a custom field, rather than trying to do all the matching on the AdvertServe side.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 14 Feb, 2014 06:43 PM

Yeah, I think ultimately that would be more flexible for you versus what we can do with predefined logic.

6. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 19 Feb, 2014 06:04 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

31 Mar, 2021 03:15 PM
03 Aug, 2020 08:33 PM
22 Jun, 2020 06:51 PM