Geography Reporting - By postal code?

stuart

04 Mar, 2014 08:55 PM

I am curious about what we should be expecting with geo postal code reporting. I just tried running a geography report for yesterday and am only seeing 400 or so postal codes that represents a fraction of the total impressions for the day. Is that common?

We have an advertiser that has an extensive list of zip codes that they want to target and I was trying to get a rough estimate on what portion of our traffic would fall in those zips.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 04 Mar, 2014 09:42 PM

Hi Stuart,

Yeah, the zip code reports are limited to showing the top 500 zip codes according to the ones that had the most traffic. Looks like there are 455 of them showing in the reports for yesterday so you didn't hit that limit. For various reasons, we can't resolve the zip code of every single visitor. MaxMind can only pinpoint about 83% of US visitors down to the city level and it's less than that for zip codes. Comparing the numbers it looks like only about 23% of your visitors zip codes were resolved. That's a lot lower than we normally see, but I guess it makes sense since about half of your traffic is mobile and those visitors locations can't be pinpointed that precisely.

In this situation, I would perhaps try and talk to your advertiser and suggest that designated marketing area (DMA) targeting might be more practical. MaxMind can pinpoint a lot more users that way. In fact, again, looking at yesterdays numbers about 97% of your visitors DMA's were resolved.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 2 Posted by stuart on 04 Mar, 2014 10:01 PM

thanks, the DMA may be a good alternative, thanks for the suggestion.

I had not thought about the mobile portion, but if we are looking to
    target U.S. desktop only, theoretically the numbers should be better.

Mike Cherichetti wrote:

3. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 08 Mar, 2014 03:32 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

31 Mar, 2021 03:15 PM
03 Aug, 2020 08:33 PM
22 Jun, 2020 06:51 PM