Mailchimp

's Avatar

john

09 Sep, 2014 11:41 AM

Can you serve ads to Mailchimp email newsletters?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 09 Sep, 2014 12:35 PM

Hi John,

Yes, we can but there are a lot of limitations with what can be served since e-mail clients are not a fully capable web browser. Our code wizard has an option to generate e-mail friendly code. You can access that by going to the code wizard and then clicking the e-mail link in the navigation menu on the left. All you have to do is select the zone you want and press the Generate Code button. That code can then be put into the HTML template you're using with Mailchimp.

As you may notice, the e-mail code is simply a linked image. That limits the code to being able to show graphic banner media. It can also show Flash banner media provided that they have an alternate GIF or JPG image. Any Flash-only banners that you have will be ignored by the e-mail code since it can't display them. The same goes for any HTML ads from third-party ad servers or networks. Serving those would require JavaScript or IFRAME tags, which do not work in e-mail clients.

So, to put it more simply the e-mail code will only serve GIF/JPG banners from your zone(s) but not Flash or third-party HTML banners. Again that is due to e-mail client limitations. It is not a limitation of our system at all and all ad servers have the same limitations.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. 2 Posted by John Beausang on 10 Sep, 2014 12:21 AM

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

There’s one other thing that I’m struggling with and that’s monetizing my site. Is there a way to find out what all my options are through Renegade? Maybe a client who is doing it particularly well? I’m at a loss beyond my 3 types of banners and I need to find new ways to generate income.

Thank you!
    John

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 10 Sep, 2014 02:12 AM

Hi John,

We have examples of all of the built-in ad types that we have here:

http://www.advertserve.com/examples/

I'd suggest that you consider the crawler, lightbox or overlay. They all float on top of your page so there's no need to juggle your content around to accommodate any of them. No matter which one you choose you really can't go wrong because they all generate much higher CTR's than standard banner placements. You can justify a higher CPM or CPC on those based on that.

Have you considered adding a forum to your site? It is a good way to keep users on your site longer and users can grow your site content faster than you can. That will not only boost your banner impressions but can also improve your SEO. Just make sure set up your forum so that it uses search engine friendly URLs. I believe vBulletin is the popular choice as many of our clients are running it.

As an example, one of our customers runs a busy forum for audio equipment enthusiasts. You can check out their site here: http://www.gearslutz.com/ They recently deployed our crawler at the bottom of their site and it's doing phenomenally well for them.

Our other ad types like the page peel and wallpaper are definitely good ones too. Those are not as easy to talk your advertisers into though. The reason being they need to spend more money getting creatives designed. That's where the crawler, lightbox and overlay really shine because they can run standard sized banners that your advertisers likely already have.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. 4 Posted by John Beausang on 10 Sep, 2014 08:37 AM

Thank you Mike!
    John

5. 5 Posted by John Beausang on 10 Sep, 2014 11:20 AM

One last question:
    Are there any tools/plugins that you know of to automate adding the text ads to blog posts on wordpress? Shortcodes?
    Thanks!
    John

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 10 Sep, 2014 02:35 PM

Yes, there is this plugin called EmbedIt Pro:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/embedit-pro/

You create a snippet for each of your zone codes and it gives you a shortcode for them. Very handy for embedding ads in posts. The shortcodes can also be used in Wordpress pages.

7. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 14 Sep, 2014 01:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

31 Mar, 2021 03:15 PM
03 Aug, 2020 08:33 PM
22 Jun, 2020 06:51 PM