Keeping it nice and clean with hide functionality

Thomas Hvitstein

29 Jan, 2014 11:40 AM

Some of my customers are starting to get quite a lot of medias, campaigns and advertisers. It is a little bit complex to delete all thiss stuff and it could also be a risky bussiness to do so. But what a bout implementing som kind of hide functionality? It could be possible to go in and mark campaigns and banners as hidden, so they wouldn't show up in the assign boxes or in the campaign list. It should be validated so that you could not hide any media or campaigns being delivered right now... In the leftmenu of the campaign, media and advertiser there could be a hidden element just like the recycle bin which contained all the hidden campaigns, medias and and advertisers. And with options to bulk unhide the elements.
It should also be possible to bulk hide in the ordenary campaign, media and advertiser lists. Then you could quickly order the id acsending (from the lowest to highest) and then mark all the id's on one page and click hide at the bottom of the list to hide the first 25 or 100 medias for example, depending on how many you have choosen to show up on each page.
Even better, if it is possible to add a last served before date parameter in the search, it would be possible to bring up a list of campaigns, medias or advertisers that has not been served in 2 years f.ex. and then hide them all.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 29 Jan, 2014 01:07 PM

Hi Thomas,

What you propose sounds like it would essentially be the same thing as the recycle bin. I don't understand why some users are afraid to use the recycle bin. Maybe it would make more sense if we renamed it to Archives and rather than using the word Delete we use Archive instead. After all the purpose of the recycle bin is to be an archive of old items.

That being said, if your clients needs some help to clean things up I can certainly assist with that. I can generate a report for them with a list of advertisers, campaigns, media, publishers and zones that have not been utilized in the last 2 years. Then if they approve we can simply run those lists through our API to bulk archive them.

I do like the idea of adding an inactivity report of campaigns, media, etc... to make it possible for users to generate reports like that on their own and it would make sense to add bulk delete (archive) to that screen as well.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2014 04:02 PM.

3. Thomas Hvitstein re-opened this discussion on 11 Feb, 2014 04:59 PM

4. 2 Posted by Thomas Hvitstei... on 11 Feb, 2014 04:59 PM

You are right mike. The recycle bin is a kind of archive. But the name of it might frighten a bit. And since you can't bulk delete or "archive" campaigns, medias and zones it might be a whole lot of work to clean up after a couple of years using the system. Sp to make an inactivity report and a bulk delete (archive) functionality sounds great.
    Another challenge is that when you have gathered a lot of items in the recycle bin or let us call the archive. You have to restore the items to have a look at them before you delete it completely delete them. Especially if you just use this as an archive you might not remember which items it is safe to delete only by their name and wich of them you might want to keep. But width a inactivity report it would be much easier to determ if it is safe to delete it completely.
    So if you could have an option that the inactivity report should look in the recycle bin / archive as well it would be great to use it either to archive or completely deleting items.
    When it comes to zones, it is not possible to send them to recycle bin without completely deleting media that has been running on them. It says: "The size could not be deleted because it is in use by one or more media. "

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Mike Cherichett... on 11 Feb, 2014 10:53 PM

Yes, I think that I have decided that the recycle bin should be renamed to archive to make its intended purpose more clear, so rather than deleting an item you will be archiving it.

You do have a good point about not being able to see too much detail about items in the recycle bin. That problem is easy enough to address though. We could add detail and report icons that would pop up the details of the item or a report in a lightbox.

I like how we have the "Active Campaigns" and "Inactive Campaigns" drop down on the campaign snapshot next to the search field. It seems to me that would be a good way to add an inactivity filter to the campaign, media and zone listings. We could have options such as "Inactive for more than 30 Days", 90 days, 180 days, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc... that you could select. The same thing could be done with the recycle bins so you could filter them by inactivity as well.

I think it might be confusing to have a unified inactivity report where it shows all inactive items whether they are in the recycle bin or not. What happens when you bulk delete the items? If the report includes items from the recycle bin they would not disappear from the report as you might expect.

Can you give me an example of a zone you tried to delete that gave you the "size could not be deleted" error? That sounds like a bug to me. Unless you meant that you were trying to delete a size rather than a zone? Deletion of sizes is permanent since they do not have a recycle bin, so they can't be deleted while they are associated with any items.

6. Mike Cherichetti closed this discussion on 19 Feb, 2014 06:04 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

07 Feb, 2020 05:39 PM
10 Dec, 2019 05:28 PM
09 Sep, 2019 02:07 PM